How many times do you find yourself regularly sending emails to the same group of people? For a lot of us, it’s a common occurrence that not only happens in our business life but also in our personal lives. Outlook’s contact group feature can help make things a little easier for you.
Need a way to search through contacts quickly? Give Lookeen a try...
Outlook’s Contact Group
Formerly known as distribution lists, contact groups allow you to email multiple contacts at the same time. This feature is useful for when you are working in a project team, are a part of a committee, or are organizing an event with your friends and family.
Using contact groups will enable you to avoid having to send the same email over and over again or having to individually list all the contacts in the To, Cc, or Bcc lines.
Steps to create a contact group
- Click on People on the Navigation bar (shown in the left panel or at the bottom of your window).
- Then under My Contacts in the left hand panel, pick the folder where you want to store the contact group. This is commonly Contacts.
- Select New Contact Group, which you will see in the home section of the Ribbon.
- Type a name for your contact group.
- Next, click Add Members, and start adding people from your contacts list or address book. If you want to add someone who isn’t in your contacts list or address book, you can add them by selecting New Email Contact.
- Hit Save once you’re done, and exit.
Newer versions of Outlook enable you create contact groups through email. This is particularly handy for people who find themselves constantly emailing the same group of people.
Steps to create a contact group via email
- Select an email that was sent to a group of people you want to include in the contact group and open it.
- Highlight all the names in the To or Cc box, then right-click and hit Copy.
- Back in the main Outlook window, select People on the Navigation bar and click on New Contact Group.
- Write your contact group’s name.
- Next, click Add Members, then From Outlook Contacts.
- In the window that opens, right-click inside the Members box and click Paste.
- Once you hit OK, the people from your email will appear as members for your contact group.
- Lastly, hit Save and exit.