You have decided to use Outlook as your email client, but to do so you need to set up your email account in Outlook. Some accounts can be set up automatically but others may need to be set up manually. Here you will learn how to set up your email in Outlook both manually and automatically.
Is finding files in your Outlook a problem? Check out the best ways to optimize Outlook.
Setting Up Your Email Account Automatically in Outlook
Setting up your email account automatically in Outlook is actually quite simple. In just a few steps your email account will be all set up:
- Start up Outlook for the first time.
- In the welcome screen, just click Next.
- To add your email account, click yes then Next.
- Enter your name, email address, and password and click Next.
- Click Finish.
Setting Up Your Email Account Manually in Outlook
If you would like to set up your email manually then there are a few more steps involved. Before you begin, you will need to know your email address, password, incoming mail server name and outgoing mail server name. Please check this information before starting the following steps.
To set up the email account manually in Outlook, follow the steps within the Add New Account dialog box:
- Open the File tab and click Add Account under the Account Information
- Select Manual setup or additional server types, and then hit Next.
- Select POP or IMAP, then click Next.
- Under User Information, set up the following settings:
- Type your full name in the Your Name box
- Type your email address in the Email Address box
- Underneath Server Information select the type of email account that you have in the box called Account Type. Whether you select POP3 or IMAP configure the settings: In the Incoming mail server box you will have to type in the name of the server in lowercase letters. In the Outgoing mail server box you will have to type in the name of the outgoing email server also in lowercase letters.
- Under Logon Information put in your username, password, and make sure the Remember password checkbox is checked.
- Now click Test Account Settings. If all goes according to plan then you have successfully set up your email account in Outlook.
If the setup is unsuccessful, check with your Internet email service provider. You may have received an email stating that a sign-in attempt was prevented due to security reasons. Follow the steps provided by your email service provider to approve Outlook access to your account.